After some weeks of work and study I’ve passed the Google Analytics Individual Qualification (GAIQ) exam.
My first reaction to this certificate was “they didn’t update the Google logo yet”. I can imagine how difficult it is to update to the new logo on all Google services and websites, but Google Analytics isn’t for sure a minor item on the list.
Getting this certification was not difficult but is not trivial. Even if you are a GA user, you probably need some hours of preparation and study. I’ve found some good resources and articles that were helpful, but my main source of information was Google Analytics Academy.
The courses available are:
- Google Tag Manager Fundamentals
- Mobile App Analytics Fundamentals
- Ecommerce Analytics: From Data to Decisions
- Digital Analytics Fundamentals
- Google Analytics Platform Principles
The majority of the content is video and it’s available on Google Analytics Youtube Channel. After each Unit there are some practice tests. Google actually takes exam questions from the unit tests, so make sure you feel comfortable with them.
70 questions, 90 minutes and a minimum 80% passing score (56 correct answers). To take your exam you need a Google Partner account. If you don’t have one, it should not take more than 5 minutes to set a new one. This post is not supposed to be a “how to master the GAIQ exam” but here are some suggestions and if you are taking the exam:
- Google changed recently the exam rules and you can’t pause the test anymore so please make sure you have time
- Use a 2nd computer display. Use one display for you exam and the other one to keep your notes and browser open with a Google Analytics account (very helpful)
- Keep all possible distractions away. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and that funny Snapchat can wait 90 minutes.
- Make sure your internet connection is reliable and your device is charged (yeah..)
Resources and Links
- Google Analytics Academy
- Google Analytics Youtube Channel
- Google Partners
- 5 step plan to master GAIQ
Getting this certification was a natural step for me after working with GA for some years. If you are in the same situation or if you are just a curious mind you should definitely go for it. I’ve learned a lot during the process and I’m really happy with the results.